#2022TheYearThatWas : SRDP, SNDP projects transform Hyderabad
The works were carried out by the GHMC and other corporations and were constantly monitored by Telangana’s Minister for MA & UD KTR
HYDERABAD: A few years ago, the roads of Hyderabad were not commuter-friendly, with many damaged roads, signals and traffic jams on every major route. People of this city also suffered the wrath of floods with no proper city sewerage lines.
The lack of proper city planning became the reason for bad road and drain conditions. The Telangana Government, keeping in mind that these are the basic and highly essential aspects of a city’s development, took up two projects – Strategic Road Development Plan (SRDP) and Strategic Nala Development Programme (SNDP), to transform the city by strengthening the roads and drains infrastructure.
The two projects brought in major development in the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) in 2022. The works were carried out by the GHMC and other corporations and were constantly monitored by Telangana’s Minister for Municipal Administration and Urban Development K T Rama Rao, who understood that the development of road and drain infrastructure would improve the lifestyle of people.
Phase 1 of the SRDP was launched in which 47 projects were planned. Out of the 34 completed projects, 11 were inaugurated this year.
SRDP projects inaugurated in 2022:
- The Shaikpet flyover, constructed at a cost of Rs 333.55 crore, was inaugurated in January 2022. It eases the traffic congestion from Tolichowki to Malkam Cheruvu and helps commuters skip two signals.
- The Tukaram Gate RuB, constructed at a cost of Rs 71.43 crore, eases traffic congestion near Secunderabad railway station and one signal near Sangeet Road can be avoided. It was inaugurated in March 2022.
- The Bairamalguda Left Flyover, built with a budget of Rs 26.34 crores, was made operational in March 2022. It eases traffic going from LB Nagar towards Bairamalguda Junction.
- The LB Nagar Right Underpass was also inaugurated in March 2022. Constructed at a cost of Rs 9.28 crores, the Underpass eases traffic going towards Sagar Road.
- Bahadurpura Flyover, was built with a budget of Rs 116.5 crore and was inaugurated in April 2022. The flyover cuts down traffic congestion near Bahadurpura Junction.
- Jubilee Hills Steel Bridge, which was inaugurated in April 2022, eases traffic in Jubilee Hills road no. 51. It was built with a budget of Rs 23 crore.
- Kaithalapur ROB was inaugurated in June 2022. It was constructed at a cost of Rs 83.06 crore and eases traffic in Kaithalapur Junction.
- The Chandrayangutta Flyover was constructed to reduce traffic jams between Chandrayangutta, Barkas Road and Inner Ring Road. Inaugurated in August 2022, it was built with a budget of Rs 45.8 crore.
- Nagole Flyover, inaugurated in September 2022, eases traffic congestion between Nagole, Uppal and LB Nagar.
- Shilpa Layout Flyover which was inaugurated in November 2022 facilitates traffic-free travel for people travelling between the Outer Ring Road and Gachibowli. It was constructed with Rs 676 crore
- Kothaguda Flyover, which is constructed and is all set to be inaugurated on December 31 2022, will ease congestion in Kothaguda Junction.
Under the SNDP projects planned to provide better sewage and flood control systems in the GHMC limits, 37 projects were approved under the Phase 1. Rs 985.45 crore were sanctioned.
Of the total projects approved – 37 in GHMC, three projects were completed in 2022. The completed projects under the GHMC limits were in Secunderabad and Nagole Zones. In October 2022, the Picket Nala Bridge, which was constructed with a budget of Rs 10 crore was also inaugurated.