Massive fire in Secunderabad electric scooter shop; 5 persons critical
A massive fire broke out in an electric scooter showroom located within the Secunderabad Market Police Station limits
HYDERABAD: A massive fire broke out in an electric scooter showroom located within the Secunderabad Market Police Station limits on Monday night. The fire also spread to a lodge, located in the first floor of the same building. At least five persons reportedly sustained severe burn injuries while a few others were feared trapped inside. The showroom is located in the close proximity of Hyderabad Regional Passport Office.
A short circuit inside the electric scooter shop is said to have caused the fire which quickly spread all over the building that also houses Ruby Lodge on the first floor. The injured were staying at the lodge located right above the commercial establishment. According to initial reports, a few others were feared trapped inside the lodge as they were unable to find an escape route. Police, with the help of fire department personnel and local people, were trying hard to evacuate them.
Meanwhile, the condition of four of the five who sustained high degree burns, was said to be very critical. They were being treated at the emergency ward of the Gandhi Hospital. After being completely trapped and caught in the leaping flames, the five persons, in one last desperate attempt to save their lives, jumped off the building. Fire tenders, which were pressed into service, were battling hard to put out the fire.
According to reports reaching last, the fire department personnel and the police were able to evacuate a woman, who sustained more than 50 per cent burns, from the first floor lodge. It is learnt that most of the rooms in Ruby Lodge had occupants at the time of the fire accident and many of them were struggling to breathe due to thick smoke all around. The rescue teams were also reportedly finding it difficult to make their way inside because of the fire and the asphyxiating smoke.