Telangana amends rules to give 1,068 more MBBS seats for local students
MBBS aspirants from Telangana will be eligible to avail off an additional 1,068 seats in the state starting the current academic year
HYDERABAD: MBBS aspirants from Telangana will be eligible to avail off an additional 1,068 seats in the state starting the current academic year. Giving good news to the aspirants of medicine, the Telangana Government on Thursday released Government Orders – GO Ms 129 and GO Ms 130 – whereby it amended the existing rules of admission into MBBS and BDS courses in the B-category seats.
As a result, an additional 1,068 MBBS seats will be available for aspirants from Telangana in the 24 private medical colleges. This also means that the quota for the locals (Telangana) will henceforth be 85 percent while it will be only 15 percent for students from across India.
As per the amended rules from the the two GOs, 85 percent of B-Category MBBS and Dental seats in minority and non-minority private medical and dental colleges will now be available to students from Telangana while the seats amounting to the remaining 15 percent will be open for those from the other parts of the country.
A total of 3,750 MBBS seats are on offer in Telangana from the 24 private medical colleges including four under the minority category. In all, 3,200 MBBS seats are available in the 20 non-minority private medical colleges in the state. Of these, 1,120 seats are covered under B-category. Until the latest amendment of rules, all the B-category seats were open for allocation for aspirants from all across the country.
The MBBS aspirants from Telangana used to find it tough to get through the stiff open competition so far. But now with the Telangana Government creating the 85 percent local quota, aspirants from the state are set to get hugely benefited. Consequently, 952 medical seats out of the total 1,120 in the 20 non-minority private medical colleges will be on offer for students from Telangana. Aspirants from the rest of India will have 168 seats to fight for under the B-category seats. The Telangana students will have the added advantage as they will also be eligible to compete for the open quota seats of B-category.
But with minority private medical colleges also included, the total number of seats available under B-category for Telangana MBBS students will be 1,068. According to authorities of the Telangana health department, this will be implemented from this academic year itself.